Top Five Angsty Romances

ToP 7 Angsty Couple
I’m going to be dipping into my screen library for my favorite angsty couples.  Top 5 Wednesday was created by Lainey from Ginger Reads Lainey, and is now hosted by Sam from Thoughts on Tomes.  I know these are supposed to be mostly focused on books, but I have come to discover I remember screen couples better honestly.  There are two other bonus couples I wanted to include. I am throwing in some book couples too. Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/118368-top-5-wednesday


1.   Spike and Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer television series Unfortunately, this angsty relationship is really screwed up one, and I’m not denying that.  Buffy and Spike met when he arrived in Sunnydale with the intent for Buffy to be the next slayer he kills.  From then on they have an antagonistic relationship, but eventually he becomes dangerously obsessive.  With that being said, why I ship them is because my first experience with them was in season 7 when Spike is going crazy with his guilt over all his past actions overwhelming him, because he has a soul.  When they are good they can be sweet and they understand each in a weird messed up kind of way. 
2.   Ethan and Lena from Caster Chronicles.  What I like about this series is it told from a male perspective.  Lena is a Caster that will either be chosen for the Dark or Light by her sixteenth birthday.  Ethan is a boy from Gatlin, South Carolina, who wants to get out as soon as he can.  Ethan and Lena meet and fall in love, but they soon learn that not only are they destined, but cursed.  All they go through and Lena’s struggle make it a very entertaining and beautiful love story.   What better setting than the south for romance?
3.   My next angsty couple is also from the Whedonverse (I’m binging “Angel” and a couple of his other shows). “Angel” Wesley and Winnifred “Fred” Brukle aka Fresley.  This couple only had two episodes where they were a couple onscreen, but in true Whendon fashion Fred was completely taken over by a parasitic demon Warrior Queen Illyria.  Wes had been holding a torch for Fred since season 3, but she had chosen Gunn, but that relationship fell apart when Fred wanted revenge on her professor who sent her to the Hell Dimension Pylea.  Gunn not wanting Fred to go down that road killed the professor for her.  In Season 5, when they went over to enemy territory to try to make it better, Fred showed interest in Knox, a scientist, but he turned to be evil.  He was the one responsible for letting her get possessed, supposedly, because she was “worthy” of Illyria.  Fred told Wes she wanted them to try being friends first, but she finally saw Wes the way he wanted her to see him.  It was probably good, because they never really got a chance to connect and get to know each other. Friends first, to me, makes the romance even more special.  It is funny when she tries to talk to him he doesn’t notice the change, he’s totally adorably clueless.  It makes it all the more heartbreaking when she “dies”, because he has been waiting for her to see him in that and her last words “why can’t I stay?”  They’re the couple that could have been, like Cangel, but maybe one day I’ll write a Fanfiction if I can ever figure out how to once again publish on FF.net.
4.   Okay, here’s a book couple: Chaol and Celaena from Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.  I will go down with this ship forever.  I love these two I think they connect so well, though I do get her connection to Rowan.  Why, why did Chaol have to ruin his relationship with her?!  They were so great!  That’s all I can say.
5.   Yes, another screen couple: Richard and Roberta from Galavant.  This is the least angsty couple on this list, but they do have some.  Richard is a former king, who lost it to his Queen and his brother sort of, but was a really bad at being a king.  Roberta was his childhood and they only person who genuinely liked him, not just because he was going to be king and could have his parents hurt her.  Roberta saw who Richard could be and the good in him, and she makes him better.  When it was suggested he date Roberta, Richard thought it would be weird that she was like sister, “and not that kind you marry.”  When he is mourning the death of his bestie Galavant, she comforts him saying he’s not alone, and she confesses her feelings. Unlike the other couples, they do have a happy ending.  The angst is how Roberta is completely head over heels in love with Richard, but he sees her as just a friend.   Stays with him and Galavant and prevents them from doing stupid acts.

Bonus Couples
6.   Claire and Jamie from Outlander
7.   Rumple and Belle, but only season 1.  I have issues with the show and how it’s being written.  Not all will get that, but I have been having this argument with fans who disagree and I do not intend to continue it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginnings of Sarah J. Maas Collection

Top 5 Wednesday: Freebie

Top 5 Polarizing Books