Top 5 Trends You're Tired of in Fiction

This weeks top 5 is trends you're tired of in books.  Top 5 Wednesday was created by Lainey from Ginger Reads Lainey and is now hosted by Sam from Thoughts on Tomes.
Goodreads link:https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/118368-top-5-wednesday

Top 5 Trends You’re Tired of Seeing in Books (This is just my opinion)
  1. There are so many books about the misunderstood or monstrous vampire.  Don’t get me I wrong I used to love those plots too like Twilight, which I still have a soft spot for, and House of Night series.  I still love Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but every time I see book with a title like Thirst, Seduced by Darkness, or something like that I’m immediately turned off, though I do read the back just to see.  To me it’s all the same: mortal woman, rarely a man, is seduce by mysterious sexy vampire, or another variation being the vampire school.   She may be a vampire too, but she still falls for the sexy older male vampire.  The plot, to me is over used with only a few small differences, but if you still love this storyline that’s great.  This all is just my opinion only.
  2. I’m not anti love triangle and will still read books with love triangles, it’s hard to avoid in YA, but specific types of love triangles are rather annoying.  Here’s a scenario: the female protagonist has a male best friend who is consider dorky or nerdy, but he’s loyal, caring, and head over heels in love with the female protagonist.  He’s just shy, but what motivates him to finally be brave is when mysterious sexy new guy, whom she barely knows and is immortal, shows up. BOOM! She’s in love and her loyal, caring, best friend is just like a brother.  Now, I admit I rooted for the mysterious sexy guy at time, and not the other guy, but why does every female protagonist have to choose the mysterious new guy over her loyal best friend?  One my best friends even said “teen girls are smarter LOL.” Guys that are supernatural aren’t always better, because there is often baggage with them and danger. To me it starts as he’s hot and mysterious, and my male best friend isn’t.  I would like a story to one day portray the complete opposite. They could even do what they did with Simon Lewis from Mortal Instruments.
  3. I don’t know how publishers work, but it bugs when I have to wait months for a paperback edition of a book, because hardbacks are $20, and I can’t spend that much every time I want to buy the next book in a series.  I also would rather not have to wait.  It would be nice if publishers would publish both at the same time.
  4. Faces on covers is a trend that is a minor irritation, because when you read you want to use your imagination, not the publishers or authors.  The author has already used their imagination with writing their words,  it should be the readers turn.
  5. The last trend that I’m tired of seeing is first person and one person perspective.  You see this in YA quite often where the book is told in first person or if it’s not in first person narrative  we only see the plot through one character.  Maybe I’m just changing as a reader and maybe that narrative is easier to get into for younger readers, but to me it limits us to only one person’s point of view.  I think that’s why some author’s write spin—off books that about other characters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginnings of Sarah J. Maas Collection

Top 5 Wednesday: Freebie

Top 5 Polarizing Books