DNFing

My list is small currently, but these are books that I have DNFed (Did not finish).  I don't DNF a lot, but I have done it a few times.

  1.  Little Woman by Louisa May Alcott.  This the story of the March sisters during the time of the Civil War.  It is about their lives and how they grow up. Although I loved the 1994 staring Wynona Ryder I couldn't get into the book.  It was too sugary sweet for me and I struggle with books written for younger readers, younger than YA.  I can't always get into the writing style of children's books.
  2. The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa.  A teenage girl discovers she is half Faerie and the daughter of King Oberyn, the king of the Seelie Court.  The Fey courts are in danger of being taken over and destroyed by the newly formed Iron Fey.  They have set there sights on the girl, because she is the only Fey who can come contact with iron. She attracts the attention and falls in love the Prince of the Winter court, but it is a forbidden love.  Her best friend Rob aka Robin Goodfellow "Puck" was her protector and also loves her.  I have only read the first two books of this series and maybe I might read it again one day, but couldn't get into it.  The first books were somewhat fun and I liked how they did a more Celtic approach to Fey.  I also really liked Puck as a character.
  3. The House of Night series by Kristen and PC Cast.  In a world where humans are aware of Vampyres existence Zoey Redbird, a sixteen year old girl, has been marked as one.  Her religious stepfather and mother are none too keen on Zoey's new birthright.  Zoey gets to attend the House of Night school and will go through the process of changing into a Vampyre.  Of course, this is a supernatural adventure and Zoey's life becomes a lot more complicated.  High School drama, dating, red marked Vampyres that exhibit the traits of traditional vampires, human hatred, and evil that tries to take over and fuel that hatred.  At first, for the first few novels I enjoyed this series.  The mythology these two create was a really cool interpretation of Vampyres making them more mythical than like monsters.  I even like Zoey at first, but as I continued to read the series it became too elaborate for me. Zoey began to get on my nerves, and I started to prefer Aphrodite, the Queen B of the school, who was mean to Zoey in the beginning.  I think because they made the mean girl aspect not so cliche and predictable helped.  The villain reminded me of these villains where you're like "die already!".  It started to get old really fast.
  4. Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. A young man discovers a magical sword and that he has a destiny.  He, his wizard friend, and a mysterious woman go on a quest to stop a powerful Overlord, who wants to take on a great magical power.  Crappy summary and I recommend looking it up for yourself.  I only got halfway through the first book, hence the crappy summary, but I just couldn't get into it.  I started it during a time when I was getting up super early to go to an internship, so that might have hindered my enjoyment, but there are 13 books and I have a lot of books I would rather read.
  5. The Women's Murder by James Patterson. A Companion series about a San Francisco female detective that solves crimes in her city with the help of 3 friends: a reporter Cindy, a lawyer, and a medical examiner.  I don't remember the series that well, except the basic premise, and that even if though there is a certain its one of those series that you don't have to read in order.  This was kind of a fun series, but it got very repetitive and predictable.  I slowly lost interest and guy I was dating told me, what I still don't is true or not, that Patterson doesn't write his books anymore, but someone else does he just comes with the ideas.  That irked me.  Yes, its cool having a coauthor, but both of you should write and come up with the ideas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginnings of Sarah J. Maas Collection

Top 5 Wednesday: Freebie

Top 5 Polarizing Books